Hi everyone,

My name is Jana (pronounced ‘Yah-na’), I am a four year old little girl from Serbia, and I need your help!

My left arm was injured when I was born and I am now only able to use it at 50%. The diagnosis is obstetrical paralysis of the brachial plexus. It is possible to almost entirely regain mobility of the arm, but I would need surgical treatment which costs $50-60,000. Would you help me raise the money for my surgeries? You can make a donation to me via PayPal at the address manuka-s@hotmail.co.uk, or by direct transfer to my bank account at Raffeisen Bank AD, Belgrade, Serbia, account number RS35265050000011091009, swift number RZBSRSBG (this number may actually be different depending on your currency and the bank you are using, so please see below for the correct one).

Please write to me!

Forever grateful,

Sunday, November 16, 2008

How I got my injury


The injury to my arm is exclusively obstetric, ie. sustained at birth. It is mostly associated with large babies like I was, at 10lb 9oz and 22 in.

At the ultrasound checkup prior to delivery my Mommy’s obstetrician determined that I was going to be a big baby, over 9lb, so a C-section was scheduled. But I wanted to be born a day early. The obstetrician on duty that night at the Višegradska Clinic in Belgrade didn’t pay much attention to my Mommy’s records, and decided of his own accord to try to deliver me naturally. My Mommy pushed for eight hours in excruciating pain, until finally she started to pass out, and my heart rate began to drop. That’s when they ripped me out of her, breaking my right arm. My Mommy didn’t hear me cry, I was just taken away and she wasn’t even told if I was alive. They didn’t let her see me for ten hours.

Afterwards they explained to her that I had suffered severe distress, and that the nerve on my left arm had been pulled, causing paralysis of the arm. I was put in an incubator until I recovered. I started physical therapy when I was five days old and have been doing my exercises daily ever since.

No comments: