Hi everyone,

My name is Jana (pronounced ‘Yah-na’), I am a four year old little girl from Serbia, and I need your help!

My left arm was injured when I was born and I am now only able to use it at 50%. The diagnosis is obstetrical paralysis of the brachial plexus. It is possible to almost entirely regain mobility of the arm, but I would need surgical treatment which costs $50-60,000. Would you help me raise the money for my surgeries? You can make a donation to me via PayPal at the address manuka-s@hotmail.co.uk, or by direct transfer to my bank account at Raffeisen Bank AD, Belgrade, Serbia, account number RS35265050000011091009, swift number RZBSRSBG (this number may actually be different depending on your currency and the bank you are using, so please see below for the correct one).

Please write to me!

Forever grateful,

Sunday, November 16, 2008

What will happen if I don't get surgery

Statistics say physical therapy can achieve results up to age three, so we hoped to avoid surgery by diligent exercise. I’ve managed to regain 50% mobility in my left arm, but I can’t make further progress without surgery.

The consequences of not operating in the near future can be as follows:
- bent spine caused by the arm dragging on it due to the arm's poor muscle tone,
- further shortening of the arm (it’s already about 2 inches shorter than my right arm),
- contractions that occur in the elbow and shoulder which prevent me from moving and stretching my arm normally,
- muscular atrophy due to insufficient use of the arm.

No comments: